Both Mat and I were pretty poorly for the whole of last week, which was not great fun. We watched a lot of crap TV, I bought way too much stuff online and read two historic novels which all seemed to merge into one after a while (still love them though).
Come Saturday we were pretty sick of the old Lemsip and Lemon and Ginger Teas and decided to go down the boozy route. Off to the liquor cupboard we went and Mat rustled us up a couple of delicious Hot Toddies.
I really am not the biggest fan of whisky, due to an unfortunate encounter with Mr Daniels when I was 17. If you feel the same, don't despair - you don't have to use Whisky - Brandy, Cognac or a lovely Spiced Rum will work beautifully as well. My definite fav is Spiced Rum (Captain Morgan's or Sailor Jerry's) :)
Hot Toddies are great to fight off colds and flus but are just as delicious as a warm-me up on a cold and rainy autumn evening.
I'll be posting a few more winter drinks over the next few months. So stay tuned! Any suggestions and wishes are very welcome!
So here it goes, your drink for a cosy evening on the sofa with a good book: Mat's Hot Toddy.
- juice of 1/4 - 1/2 lemon (depends on how juicy it is)
- 25ml whisky or spiced rum (or brandy)
- 25ml ginger wine
- 1-2 tsp honey
- hot water
- Put the honey into a small to medium sized mug and disolve with a little hot water.
- Add the lemon juice, spirit and ginger wine and stir until everything is well combined.
- Top up with hot water, which has just been boiled (if your using a large mug don't fill up all the way as your hot toddy will end up being too watery).
- Give it a good stir and enjoy piping hot.