But let's not talk about that. Back to the lovely lentil winter salad. Here it is:
• 200g puy lentils
• 750ml vegetable stock
• 1 sprig thyme
• 2 ready cooked beetroots, cut into cubes
• 1/2 aubergine, cut into cubes
• 4 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
• 1 red onion sliced
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/2 firm pear, cut into cubes
• 4 tbsp balsamico
• 2tbsp red wine
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• olive oil
• salt and pepper to season
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Rinse the lentils, place in a medium size saucepan, cover with the stock and simmer on a medium to high heat for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Place the aubergine on a baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes turning half way through.
- Preheat a little olive oil in a pan, add the onions and sauté for a few minutes until they start to soften, then add the mushrooms and the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are soft and start to brown. Set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean and add a little olive oil. Pan fry the pears until golden and caramelised on all sides.
- Once the lentils are cooked mixed them with the mushrooms and aubergine and top with the cubed beetroot and pan-fried pears.
- In a small saucepan heat the balsamico, sugar and wine and quickly bring to the boil. Simmer for a minute or so until the mix resembles a syrup. Drizzle over your salad and top with a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- This is the perfect, super healthy winter dish. Delicious. This would go particularly well with warm apple or pear cider. :)