Overall my lack of creativity when it comes to vegetarian cooking is probably to blame - I basically end up making a soup, or a salad, or pasta... and that's that.
So pasta it was again...well sort of...gnocchi to be precise. The sauce though was pretty awesome. Lots of veggies, lots of wine, lots of flavour. And I gave myself a pat on the back, because I am getting there... slowly but surely. :)
Of course if you have any yummy (veggie) recipes, please do share.
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 courgette, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 5 large mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato paste
- 200ml red wine
- 500g gnocchi
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- rocket to serve
- parmesan to serve
- Heat about 2tbsp of olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion, celery, carrot, chilli and tomato puree and sauté for approximately 10 minutes until everything is fairly soft. It's really important that you veg is cut the same size so it cooks evenly. I went for tiny cubes, but thin slices will do, too.
- Add the mushrooms and courgette, cook for a couple of minutes on a high heat, then deglaze the pan with the red wine. Cook for about 5 minutes until the wine has reduced by 1/3.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, season with salt (about 1tsp) and pepper and leave to bubble away for about 15-20 minutes.
- Five minutes before your sauce is done, cook your gnocchi to the instructions on the pack.
- Serve with the tomato ragu, top with a handful of rocket and some shaved parmesan.