Why it only occurred to me the other week that I could make this from scratch and that it doesn't always have to be chicken, only heaven knows. The good news is, it was easier than I thought (in fact, even easier than the packet stuff), and it tasted heavenly. Oh and did I mention it was healthy, too - no? - well it is.
So here you have it, quick n easy smokey king prawn fajitas. As always, feel free to substitute the prawns with chicken or beef or pork or tofu or whatever tickles your fancy.
Hope you enjoy!
For the tacos
- 250g large peeled prawns, butterflied (if you've never butterflied a prawn, this video is great)
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp chipotle paste (if you want it super spice throw in a chopped red chilli as well)
- 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 lime
- fresh corn flower tortillas
- Greek yoghurt (seasoned with some salt and pepper and a splash of olive oil), coriander and Tabasco sauce to serve
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, really finely diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 150g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2tbsp pickled jalapeños or 1 green chilli, chopped
- a handful of coriander, chopped (in my case this is optional ;))
- salt and pepper
- Place the onion in a bowl and pour over the lime juice. Leave to sit for 5 minutes, then add the pickled jalapeños, tomatoes and coriander. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C. Mix the prawns with the spices and season. Heat the beans in a saucepan over a low heat, slightly mashing them as they cook. Season with salt and pepper.
- Warm the tortillas in foil for about 5 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Cook the prawns for about 1 minute each side, then squeeze over the juice of 1/2 lime.
- To serve, spoon some of the black beans over each tortilla, top with the prawns, salsa, yoghurt, some coriander and a good dash of Tabasco (or your favourite chilli sauce).