When I was a kid our local Italian made these garlicky grilled Oyster mushrooms, served alongside some warm crusty bread - my always go to starter. I love a Portobello mushroom and halloumi burger and a hearty sausage ragú would be nothing without some finely chopped chestnut mushrooms, not to mention chanterelles with eggy parpadelle. I guess you get the picture.
To add to the veggie challenge and to be a bit healthy, we made a lovely mushroom and feta salad, with rocket and a balsamico and basil vinaigrette. This was amazingly good and will definitely be made again ;)
- Three handfuls rocket
- 250g oyster mushrooms, cut into bite size chunks
- 250g shiitake mushrooms, cut into bite size chunks
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g feta, crumbled
- a handful of basil
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 3tbsp balsamico
- salt and pepper to season
- olive oil
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the shallots and fry until soft and starting to brown.
- Wack up the heat to high and add the mushrooms. Cook for a bout 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Once they are brown and just before they start to release water take them off the heat. Stir in the crushed garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the basil, olive oil and balsamico into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Whizz with a stick blender until liquid and all bits have been blended.
- Distribute the rocket between 2-3 plates, top with the mushrooms, crumble the feta over everything and finish off with a generous drizzle of the basil dressing.