It takes me ages to wake up and I am grumpy... big time. Bad enough as is, imagine the scenario without a cinnamony bowl of porridge or a couple of crumpets - disaster.
Without breakfast my happiness levels would be, well, pretty low - and that's why I particularly look forward to the weekends, because I have the time to go wild ;)
Last weekend we had spicy avocado and smokey maple bacon topped with a soft boiled egg on granary toast. That, teamed with a lovely coffee and some sunshine - heaven!
What's your favourite breakfast treat?
- 1 ripe avocado, stone removed and peeled
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped (you could also use coriander)
- 1 tsp tabasco
- 1 lime, juice
- a handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 large eggs
- 4 rashers smokey bacon
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 4 slices granary toast
- salt and pepper
- butter (optional)
- olive oil
- Place the eggs in a saucepan, cover them with cold water by about 1cm and then place them on a high heat. As soon as they reach boiling point, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer (if you are using an electric hob I recommend you move the pan to a different ring) and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, mash the avocado with a fork, add the parsley, tabasco and lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Once hot add the bacon, drizzle with the maple syrup and fry until brown and crispy.
- Butter the hot toast, spread the avocado evenly, top with the smokey bacon. Peel the eggs and place on top of your toast, cracking them open a little to let the yolk ooze (what a word!) over everything. Top with the quartered tomatoes, add some cracked black pepper and a bit of sea salt and you're ready to go.