here, here, here and here). No wonder, considering that lentils have always been a staple in my family. This was mainly in the shape of a stew, with big chunks of smoked bacon, root vegetables and a dash of vinegar, which my mum or nan would put on in the morning, leave to simmer all day and we'd have for dinner. This is still one of my favourite meals ever.
Mat and I seem to have made lentils a household staple in our own way and have become great fans of warm lentil salads, particularly during the colder months.
And although it is the end of May, it has been freezing around here. Well, and what better thing to have to warm the soul and body than another warm lentil salad. This one hints at warm summer days with the use of grilled courgette and asparagus, tangy feta and a zingy lemon and olive oil dressing.
What's the ultimate staple in your house?
PREPARATION 5 mins
COOKS 30 mins
- 200g puy lentils, rinsed
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 8 green asparagus stalks
- 2 small-medium courgettes, thinly sliced (you can also buy grilled courgettes in olive oil from the deli counter if you can't be bothered to cook them from scratch)
- 150g greek feta, crumbled
- a large handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 lemons juiced
- salt and pepper
- a few leaves of fresh oregano, finely chopped
- Cover the lentils with cold water, add the thyme and a teaspoon of salt (you can vary the amount of salt used depending on your personal preference). Bring to the boil and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the lentil are tender. Drain, remove the thyme and set aside.
- Brush the courgette and asparagus with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pre-heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Once hot, cook the veggies for a few minutes on each side (approximately 5 minutes). Note: Of course, if you've got a barbecue going, wack it on there and it'll taste even better. Once cooked add to a large bowl and combine with the feta, garlic, lemon juice, chopped oregano and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and mix.
- Serve the lentils topped with the veggie cheese mix and cherry tomatoes and enjoy warm or cold.