Happy Thursday all. It's once again been a while. I really need to make this blogging business a more regular occurrence and get organised (which is hard when you are the world's most unorganised person ... ever).
I've got a right old treat for you today. This one was one of those dinners where you plan a meal, go shopping and then realise you are missing half the ingredients. (Did I mention I was unorganised?) So then you go and rummage through your fridge and kitchen cupboards searching for substitutes, all the while thinking - this is going to be a disaster (especially because you've got guests over :-O)
It could have been - a true disaster. Substituting taragon with basil and using cheap golden breadcrumbs from a packet rather than fresh ones isn't a good start. Well and then I didn't have any chips or salad to accompany the chicken and ended up making broad beans with goats cheese and a sweet potato mash. Flavour overload!?
But it was good... like really good... and I am going to shut up about what a disaster it could've been now and share the recipe!
Happy cooking everyone!
For the chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts
- a handful of basil, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- approx. two handfuls of fresh breadcrumbs (or the golden ones from the packet), the amount of this depends on the size of your chicken breasts.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 200g frozen broad beans
- 125g soft goats cheese
- 125g greek yoghurt
- a handful of your favourite herbs (parsley, chives, dill, mint...) finely chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, quartered
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 small potato, halved
- 1 lime
- 50g feta, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 190˚C. Wrap the chicken in some cling film and bash with a rolling pin or bottom of a jar to flatten, then remove the cling film.
- Mix the mustard, basil and minced garlic into a smooth paste and add a drizzle of olive oil. Spread evenly over the chicken breasts, then roll the coated meat in the bread crumbs. I used a small amount of bread crumbs at a time and kept topping up the plate when needed.
- Arrange the breaded chicken breasts on a baking tray and drizzle or spray with a little olive oil. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and all juices run clear.
- Place the sweet potato and potato into a medium-large microwavable dish. Place half a lime in the middle and cover with cling film (make sure you use microwavable cling film). Microwave on high for 15 minutes. Once done remove the cling film and squeeze any remaining juice from the lime (careful it's hot).
- Using a fork work the potatoes mixing them together and crushing them at the same time. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Add the juice of the second lime half, the chilli and the crumbled feta. One last mix and you're ready to go. At this stage you can sprinkle some coriander on top if you wish.
- Add the broad beans to a pan of boiling, lightly salted water and cook for 3 minutes until defrosted and warmed through. Drain and cool down with cold water.
- Whisk together the goats cheese and yoghurt until smooth and fluffy. Add the broad beans (crushing them a little while mixing) and the herbs. Stir everything together thoroughly, season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.