Let's talk fro-yo for a minute here... We've all been on it like there's no tomorrow. Mat and I keep looking out for BOGOFs on every trip to the supermarket and my work mates and I have been wandering over to the local frozen yoghurt chain in our lunch break, which has become a delicious yet pretty pricy re-occurrence.
Of course I thought, despite the fact that I haven't got an ice cream machine, that I can do this at home. I mean how difficult can it be... Take the yoghurt, put it in the freezer - Done. Well it didn't really work first time around and we ended up with a big block of banana, coconut, yoghurt mess - yuk. Then I purchased ice lolly moulds and tadaaaa - fro-yo ice lollies, guys.
You can make any flavour you want and to be honest, if you don't have lolly moulds just use paper or plastic cups (or old yoghurt containers - washed of course) and tongue sticks.
We made layered vanilla yoghurt lollies with coconut and clementine. No sugar, not fat, no guilt!!! Enjoy!
MAKES 4 lollies
FREEZES IN 8hours
INGREDIENTS ( all approximate and depending on the size of your moulds)
- 250g fat free greek yoghurt (you can either get a vanilla yoghurt (we used Yeo Valley) or greek yoghurt and honey or plain)
- 2tbsp honey (if you're using plain yoghurt)
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out (if you're using plain yoghurt)
- 2-3tsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 mandarine, peeled and cut into small chunks or
Frozen berries or any other fruit you fancy
- Pour the yoghurt half way up the mould. Top with the mandarine and then a little more yoghurt. Add the coconut and mix it with the yoghurt, now top with the rest of the yoghurt.
- Put the tongue stick in and then freeze for 8 hours or more.