A short mini tantrum later I went to call my thriving rosemary plant to the rescue and attacked the big bag of radishes which was waiting in our fridge to be turned into a salad.
And then I remembered Spoon, Fork, Bacon's simple roast radish recipe... OMG ... have you tried this? Amazing!! Bit of lettuce, some sliced cucumber and baby tomatoes and you've got yourself a delicious dinner of sweet and sticky chicken and tangy roast veggies.
PS Excuse the dreadful pic... I only had the iPhone to hand :(
- 250g radishes, halved
- 2 red peppers, cut into bite size chunks
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 8 chicken thighs
- 4tbsp balsamico + a drizzle extra for the salad
- 2tsp brown sugar
- 3 sprigs rosemary, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 little gem lettuce, cut into strips
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- a handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190˚C.
- Season the bottom of your chicken thighs with sea salt and pepper and place into a baking tray, skin-side up.
- Dissolve the brown sugar with a couple of tablespoons of boiling water (stir until all sugar has turned into liquid). Add the balsamico, rosemary and garlic and mix everything together. Carefully pour over the chicken thighs. Make sure most of it ends up on the chicken rather than in the baking tray. Keep spooning the marinade onto the chicken until as little as possible is left in the bottom of the tray. Trust me, whoever is doing the dishes later will thank you.
- Place into the hot oven and roast for 45 minutes.
- Mix the radishes and red pepper with the lemon juice, drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Evenly distribute on a baking tray. Once your chicken has been in the oven for 20 minutes, place the veggies in the oven and bake for a further 25 minutes.
- Arrange the lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes on four plates, drizzle with some balsamico and olive oil. Top with the roast veggies and roast chicken and garnish with the spring onions.