I like you because you let me turn a fine dining dessert into a super simple dinner for four. I mean who doesn't love a sticky, sweet and piping hot tart tatin with a creamy dollop of bourbon vanilla ice cream on a cool September evening? But even better (well just as good) is Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Baby Beetroot Tart Tatin. It's buttery and sweet and earthy and so, so yum with it's tangy shallot vinaigrette and a generous crumble of feta.
It's one of those dinners you make to impress but is super simple and fairly quick.
SERVES 4 (as a light meal)
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 25g butter
- 500g baby beetroot (no bigger than a golfball), scrubbed
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g ready made puff pastry
For the vinaigrette
- 2 shallots really finely chopped
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 5 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 70g feta to crumble
- Pre-heat the oven to 190˚C.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 5mm. Take an ovenproof frying pan (or tart tatin dish) roughly 20cm in diameter, pace it upside down on the pastry and cut around it. Wrap the pastry disc in cling film and place it in the fridge.
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy bottom, oven-proof pan large enough for all the beetroot to sit snugly (approx. 20cm). Add the beetroot and toss to coat in the oil and butter. Add the sugar and vinegar, season and taste, adjusting the vinegar and sugar if necessary.
- Cover the pan with foil and place in the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes or until the beetroot are tender.
- When the beetroot are cooked remove from the oven and arrange the beets neatly in the pan. Carefully place the pastry over the beetroot tucking the excess pastry into the pan. Return to the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until golden and puffed up.
- Make the vinaigrette by placing all the ingredients in a clean jam jar and give it a good shake.
- When the tart is ready remove from the oven and leave to rest for a few minutes.
- To serve place a large plate over the pan and carefully, but quickly, turn upside down, remove the pan, crumble the feta on top and pour over the vinaigrette.
- Enjoy with a lovely green salad and a strong red wine.