Oh trust me I know this feeling all too well. All those times we have called Papa John for 2 for 1 delivery (millions of calories included) and I disliked myself a little afterwards.
As so often, Good Housekeeping comes to the rescue here with their incredibly delicious Blonde Pizza. Yes blonde... no passata here my dears. Pure squidgy mozarella, courgette and garlic goodness.
Make some extra dough and keep it in the freezer for a quick and healthy pizza dinner.
Of course you can substitute the toppings with anything you like.
PS Excuse the lousy pictures. The camera died and the iPhone had to do. :(
For the base
- 125g strong white flour, plus extra to dust (or 65g wholemeal flour and 60g white flour)
- 75ml warm water
- ½tsp fast action dried yeast
- 4tbsps olive oil
- 1tsp salt
- any herbs you want to add to the dough
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 3tbsps olive oil
- sea salt
- 1 courgette thinly sliced with a peeler
- 1 red chilli
- 1 red onion finely sliced (if you have a mandolin slicer, use it ;))
- 2 balls of mozzarella
- salt and pepper
- Put the flour, yeast and 1tsp salt into a large bowl. Quickly mix in 75ml (3fl oz) warm water and 4tbsps of the olive oil to make a soft, but not sticky, dough (add more flour/water as necessary). Tip on to a work surface lightly dusted with flour and knead for 5mins (or use a kitchen machine with the hook attachment). Form into a ball, put back in the bowl and cover with clingfilm. Leave in a warm place to rise for 15min (I heat my oven to 40˚C and place the bowl there. Next to the heating is good too.)
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Mix the 2tbsp of olive oil, crushed garlic clove and a generous pinch of sea salt in a bowl.
- Flour a large baking tray (you can also use polenta/corn meal). Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to make a rectangle roughly 20.5cm x 30.5cm. Transfer to the prepared baking tray and brush with the olive oil garlic mix.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and cook in the oven for 5min until the base is just beginning to dry out.
- Take out of oven and lower temperature to 180°C.
- Top with toppings the mozzarella, courgette and chillis, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Return to the oven for 15-20min until pizza is golden.
- Enjoy with a green salad.